In 2005, I made a very simple
promise to the citizens of Durham—that I’d be a councilman they could be proud of. Four years later, I’ve
made good on that promise.
Our city has made great strides over the past four years, and I’m proud to have played a leadership role in helping
us reach new heights. Yet we have much more to do, and I would like to continue to serve the citizens of Durham in making
our city even greater.
That’s why I am seeking your support in my reelection campaign.
In 2005, I pledged to work on four major issues.
A Safer Durham
Finding short-term and long-term solutions to crime.
· The increasing gang problem
· Co-founded Durham Mentoring Alliance
· Making our streets and sidewalks safe to travel on
· Fought to maintain Safe Streets lighting program
· Providing adequate resources for our police officers and firefighters
· Fought for police officer and firefighter pay plans
· Fought for increased overtime pay
Actively supported taser use by police officers
An Economically Viable Durham
Spreading economic development to all parts of the
Served on DDI Board of Directors
· Fought for dedicated Neighborhood Revitalization Fund
· Worked for enhanced transportation service, especially bus service
· Investing in our neglected infrastructure
· Fought for dedicated line item for deferred maintenance
· Fought for street repair line item in General Fund
Providing affordable housing
· Smart growth principles
· Two years as chairman of JCCPC
A Cleaner, Greener Durham
· More effective waste management policies
· Fought for comprehensive solid waste program
· Especially elimination of fee-based yard waste program
· First step of comprehensive program
· Fought for new recycling program
Advocated for elimination of dumpster service
· Cleaner streets and public spaces
Fought for tougher controls on abandoned shopping carts
· Decrease of 50 percent
· Fought for increased funding for park clean up
Energy efficient buildings and services that save tax
More Effective Leadership
More accessible to all citizens
· Improved attendance at Council meetings and other public functions
· Perfect attendance record to meetings; only missed two breakfasts
· Restoring accountability and confidence in city government
Comprehensive Mass Transit Plan
· Enhanced Bicycle and Pedestrian Amenities
Please visit our Facebook page.
And feel free to contact us.
PO Box 217, Durham NC 27701